Thursday, January 22, 2015

Vintage Dresden Quilt

My Vintage Quilt Rescue

I found this dresden quilt at the bottom of a bedding bin at a local thrift store and the first thing that went through my mind was; how in the world did it escape being damaged and torn? Anyone who's ever been thrifting knows how much pulling and tugging goes on when people rummage through those bins.



The quilt had been badly stained in it's past life, but is in remarkably good condition.  I've had good luck in the past with overnight soaking in a bath of sodium perborate or carbonate.  It is non-caustic and will lift most stains in cotton and even synthetic fabrics.



 A lot of the stains appear to be due to storage.  The intense heat in attics will cause old fibers to turn brown in spots.  I've stored T-shirts in my attic and even though they'd been cleaned before hand....there were still 'ghost' spots from previous stains.


 


These are the before pictures.  I plan on trying a couple of my tried and true cleaning methods and hopefully I will have photos of the results to share with you, so wish me luck!