Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My Cottage Garden

We had a beautiful September blooming season. My gardening friend in Summerville, SC gave me an Angel's Trumpet brugmansia that she'd started from a cutting. I have a pink angel that is more of a white, edged with shell pink, but this one is the most beautiful peachy pink that deepens as the blossoms age. Our rose mallows attracted so many butterflies this year the air was alive with them. One beauty that I wasn't able to capture with my camera was the large zebra butterfly. He was too busy flitting from bloom to bloom to sit still and pose for me.

Purslane is one of the easiest annuals to grow.  It's very heat and drought tolerant and blooms all summer until the first frost.  I planted several at the base of the mallow for a pop of color.  They also seed easily without being invasive and I can look forward to some volunteers next year.